Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wrestling Prayer

While I am gathering up my pictures for the finale of Winding Down for Fall, I thought I would let you know what I have been meditating on.

Do you meditate?

Here are some examples from scripture of those who did:

Genesis 24:63     He (Isaac) went out in the field one evening to meditate.

Psalm 119:15     I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.

Psalm 104:34     May my meditation be pleasing to Him, as I rejoice in the Lord.

meditate [ˈmɛdɪˌteɪt]

1. (intr; foll by on or upon) to think about something deeply

2. (intr) to reflect deeply on spiritual matters, esp as a religious act

3. (tr) to plan, consider, or think of doing (something)

[from Latin meditārī to reflect upon]

I like to think of it as chewing a thought over and over again. I write it in my personal journal, draw pictures sometimes with the words..(kinda quirky that way) and say it over and over again to myself until it becomes a part of the fabric of my being.

I meditate daily on God’s word, chewing, drawing, speaking.

I am reading a book right now called Wrestling Prayer by Eric and Leslie Ludy.

This book will take you back in time to the Mighty Men of God who understood the power of prayer, embodied the power of the Holy One, believed what God said in His Word and acted upon it.

It reads like a coffee shop conversation with the heroic bravery of William Wallace.

The words of this book, if read and meditated upon, will change the very core of your nature. You will be captivated with a spiritual swagger that only men and women of old ever experienced.

I am reading.

I am meditating.

I am being hit at the very center of my universe of thinking.

I am being persuaded that all my “spiritual sounding chitter-chatter” is repulsive to my Father.

I am being changed.

Here is just one of MANY quotes from this book:

“Spiritual sounding chitter-chatter tends to be self-centric in its banter, begging for comforts to be protected, deadlines to be met, surgeon’s hands to be guided, test so be passed, and food to be blessed. It’s always about us. And, whereas there is nothing wrong with praying about our own personal needs, prayer----real-life historic prayer----is otherworldly and built upon the notion of a forgotten self. It’s aggressive, growling, attacking, commanding, persevering, passionate, and feverishly unrelenting---it’s battlefield firing, as if every utterance is chipping away at enemy stronghold and every petition is moving God’s indomitable purposes forward in this natural realm.”

I am looking forward to the power of God to be unleashed in my life as I begin to grasp the incredible depth, width, and breadth of communing with my Creator.

What are you meditating on today?

image

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandy! What a beautiful post, I don't meditate but I do alot of thinking. Is that meditating?
Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment!
Enjoy your Friday,
KarenSue

PlainJane said...

Hi Sandy, I didn't know I was missing, lol. Glad you found me again. I see YOU have moved though -- I'll have to get this link up.

I've been fighting catching my daughter's cold and lacking in sleep as we have been spending sukkot in our sauna haus (not like my good ole bed) - so rather brain dead - not really meditating, but we are going over the Scripture verses on the Feast of Tabernacles. And like this verse that I recently read in devotions, "Ye know that ye WERE Gentiles"...I Cor. 12:2a

How are you all? I paged down and was reading about your son...I started to cry. ((Hugs)). How is school going so far?

Have a blessed week!
~Jane, www.homeschoolblogger.com/plainjane

Adriel Booker said...

This is great stuff! I have been meditating on the fact that God is my strong tower and my refuge lately. He is mighty. He is able to defend and protect and comfort...

Other non -related stuff

Related Posts with Thumbnails